Coffee & Peppermint Arctic Roll
Food technologist Katie Rosenburg created this arctic roll by combining two of our favourite flavours...coffee and peppermint!
- Butter (to grease the parchment)
- 6 medium eggs
- 55 grams light brown sugar
- 150 grams
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 250 grams sieved plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining the pan with parchment paper and leaving an inch or more parchment around the cake.
- With an electric mixer, whisk the eggs and sugar together for 3 minutes or until pale and thickened. Fold in by hand the remaining ingredients and pour onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes at 200C fan/180C gas 6.
- After two minutes of cooling, roll up the cake and leave it rolled up in the parchment paper while it continues to cool.
Peppermint Scmear Ingredients
- 296 ml double cream
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 8 drops of beet juice (shred beets into a paper towel or cloth, squeeze the beet juice into the scmear) or 8 drops of red food coloring
- Splash of peppermint extract and vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons peppermint pieces
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix with a hand mixer for about 4 minutes on medium speed or until you have formed stiff peaks.
Coffee Ice Cream Ingredients:
- 238 ml whole milk
- 100 grams packed light brown sugar + 2 tablespoons
- 355 ml double cream
- 4 medium egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 82 grams whole coffee beans
- Heat together 119 ml of cream, whole coffee beans, milk and brown sugar. Before it starts to simmer, turn off the heat, cover and let the mixture steep for 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl combine the egg yolks and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. Stir mixture until sugar is dissolved.
- Reheat the original mixture until it is hot, then slowly add a small portion of your egg/sugar mixture until the bowl is hot to the touch. Add this back to the original mixture. Cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes until thickened, and make sure to stir constantly. Do not let this reach a simmer.
- Add the final 119 ml of cream to a bowl and place the bowl inside another bowl containing ice. Pour the original mixture into the bowl containing the cream. Once it is cool, place in the fridge for a couple hours and preferably overnight.
- When you are ready to make your ice cream, use a strainer with large holes to remove the coffee beans.
- Follow instructions on your ice cream maker to make the ice cream.
- Put in the freezer until it is almost frozen (about 1 hour), and mould the ice cream into a long cylinder shape using cling film to keep the structure. Put back in freezer until completely frozen.
Assembling the Roll:
- Once the cake is completely cooled, ice cream is frozen, and scmear is made, you are ready to assemble the Arctic roll.
- Unroll the cake and spread on a good layer of the peppermint scmear.
- Remove the frozen ice cream and place on the cake, then roll the cake around the ice cream.
- Wrap the roll with a new sheet of parchment paper and let freeze for an hour.
- Remove from freezer and top with scmear and more peppermint pieces.
Simmering coffee beans with the cream, milk and brown sugar to make the base for the ice cream.
Spread peppermint scmear over your cake.